De Ann's Clan

Thursday, February 14, 2008

Valentine's Day 2008

Whoever created Valentine's Day really should be shot. It is a day that women fill with expectations and men can never reach. It is so romaticized. As a child I thought for sure I would get a valentine from a secret admirer. I mean, it is the day to declare love. Why wouldn't a boy declare his love on Valentine's Day.



I remember the year I gave a boy in my 6th grade class a special valentines. I gave everyone in class one of the 32 Hallmark created whitty valentines. I can't remember what the theme was for the valentines, just that everyone in class received one from me except for that one special flame in my life. He had no idea that he was my flame. My friends and I made fun of him all the time for wearing those fake animal fur boots. The kind that was covered in fur. But that Valentine's day, I had to let him know that I thought he was something special. I bought a $3 card with a big heart on it. I think I just signed my name inside.



We had one desk buddy. I sat by my best friend Michelle. He sat right behind us next to Aaron. I can still see his face when he opened it. He looked at me in complete surprise. Aaron did too.

No comments: