De Ann's Clan

Saturday, December 6, 2014

Report Cards

I sent out report cards this week.  Students can get a 1-3, 3 being the highest, a p for passing, or an n for needs improvement.  As I was doing the grades, I basically gave any student in the 90% a 3, 80% a 2, 70% a 1, 60% a p, and an N for anyone under 60%.  I believe all students should be able to get a three if they earn it. 

That being said, my class report cards were very low.  It always seems that they are at the beginning of the year.  I don't know if students are just used to getting a good grade despite not putting forth any effort.  Once my students realize that I do expect them to work and earn their grade, most try harder. 

As a teacher, I do not mark off points for late assignments.  I send home a list of missing assignments every couple of weeks.  I even attach all the missing assignments to the paper.  There is a reason I give out an assignment.  If a student hasn't done the assignment, I want them to take their time to get it done. 

I send home a weekly calendar that lists all the homework assignments for the week so parents know what is due when.  I am a working mother, so I try to make life easier for other working parents to keep track of what is happening at school.  And yet, I still have parents surprised their child is missing assignments. 

I can't wait to get feedback from the report cards.

No comments: