De Ann's Clan

Sunday, March 14, 2010

The Priesthood will Catch You...

When I found out we were having a girl, I started to cry. After having three boys, I didn't think it was possible to have a girl. And how was I supposed to know how to raise a daughter? After a day of shock and disbelief I started preparing to bring a baby girl into the world.

I don't know if all women immediately have the need to buy something utterly beautiful when they find out they are having a girl, but I did. I wanted a beautiful, lacy, white dress for her blessing day. I wanted a dress that I could put away and bring back out on her baptism day and then her wedding day. I wanted her to have three white dresses. The women in my family chipped in for a beautiful dress. It was perfect.

From the moment Dresden was born she caught every one's heart. Just holding her makes everything right. Her eyes light up with every smile. She has a head full of dark blond hair. She is so small compared to the boys when they were born. I guess you could call her dainty. She is everything I ever wanted in a girl.

It seemed like forever till her blessing day. There is something truly real about the priesthood. Something so powerful, that it makes something so intangible, tangible. I have noticed that none of my children feel like they belong to me until they have been given a name and a blessing through the Melchizedek priesthood. Yes, I love them with all my heart. I can't imagine life before they ever came into the world and graced me with their presence. But I know that they are not my children. God has lent them to me to raise and protect. They know that too. Their eyes radiate a soul that still belongs to God. The blessing helps tie them to our family. They become my children while they are on the Earth.



No comments: