De Ann's Clan

Monday, July 21, 2014

New Outlook


So I realized just how important it is to have a digital footprint. Crazy you say? Let me explain. My friend Jordan Fowles died two weeks ago. The first thing I did was spend hours reading all the entries of his on Facebook. Then I went to all and any relatives' Facebook accounts to read as much as I could. It hit me that I needed to know what was going on in his life even though I had kept contact with him through the years.

I did the very same thing when my mission companion Susan Candland Bromley died. I had to know about her family. I needed to know more about what was going on to cause her tragedy.

So I am thus compelled to make a record of me and my family. It is not a matter of vanity or being self absorbed. It is just a drawing force in my life right now that I can't explain. There is a cute saying that I saw once at Kneaders. It says, "May your life be as happy as you pretend it is on Facebook." I am not out to show off or try to make anyone like me better. I just need to do this for me.

Today my oldest son, Ky, did something that brings tears to my eyes. I was out with Don and my second oldest, Porter, when he called. He said he felt like he needed to give some money to a neighbor. I told him that if he felt he should, then he should. He has been working a concrete construction job this summer. It is hard work, but it has taught him amazing things. His payday was Friday, so he had some money to spare.

When I came home, he couldn't wait to tell me how good it felt. He said he went to the neighbor and was tongue tied. He explained that he couldn't get his words out so that they made sense. Then he pulled out the money and explained to her that she has done so much for him and he felt inspired that he needed to bring her the money. She wouldn't take the money, but my son insisted. They both were in tears. She told him that she needed the exact amount he had just given her because her tires were bald and she was going out of town.

My payoff is that my oldest son has learned to listen to the still small voice and recognizes its promptings. He is only 15 and he has become such a man just these last two months. I can't thank Ben, his boss enough for giving this difficult job. It has helped Ky learn important life lessons life persistence and charity. I sure love that boy.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sweet! I love him too!