De Ann's Clan

Sunday, July 27, 2014

Williamsburg, Virginia

In June I had the honor of going with my mom to Washington D.C.  I have always wanted to go and was actually planning on going when I found out my mom was planning a trip as well.  We went together and I will always hold on to the memory because it was so special.

My mom and I flew into Williamsburg, Virginia.  We spent three days there with my niece and nephew Cami and Derrick Struksma and their daughter Zoe.  My brother Dan was nice enough to let us use three nights of his timeshare.  It was five minutes away from Cami and Derrick and was like a studio apartment with two bedrooms.  Our back patio looked out into a field.

I was excited to spend time with Cami because she is so fun and easy to get along with.  Cami and Derrick have a fun relationship that entails a lot of teasing and sarcasm.  They are both highly intelligent, sociable, and amazing people.  When it comes right down to it, Cami and Derrick are truly meant for each other.  

We spent our time in Virginia visiting Williamsburg, Jamestown, and William and Mary College.

Williamsburg was full of historical buildings and enchanting town actors.  I was excited to buy a whistle that was handmade there in Williamsburg.  I plan to use it to call my students attention in school.  There was a lot of walking there and I made mom walk further than she should have so that I could send a postcard to my family right from the Williamsburg post office.  There were shoe maker shops, seamstress shops,  and gardens.  Cami explained that all of the people actually make things how they were made back in colonial Williamsburg times.  They used antiquated tools, out of date technology, and historic methods.  Cami and I went off to find a bathroom.  That was about the time she told Zoe there was a frog in the grass next to her and Zoe started to run for her life.  There is a story about Cami, Zoe, and a frog from earlier in the month that you just have to hear Cami tell because it is hysterical.

Mom and I took a train from Williamsburg to Washington D.C.  It was difficult boarding the train, finding seats, and stowing our luggage.  I really thought someone would take pity on us and help us out, but it was a fend for yourself type atmosphere.  A kind lady offered to change seats so that mom and I could sit together.  When we arrived at the D.C. train station we were more than overwhelmed.  We did not know where our hotel was or the best way to get there.  We decided on taking a taxi and were relived when he loaded and unloaded the luggage for us.

Next post will be about Washington D.C.

No comments: