De Ann's Clan

Saturday, August 2, 2014

Washington D.C.

Washington D.C. was an enlightening experience for me.  It was easy to get stressed out by all the crowds and things to see.  That was one of the best things about being there with my mom.  We didn't feel like we had to see everything.  It was our vacation and we could do as we pleased.

Our hotel was within walking distance of a Safeway.  We were able to go there and buy food items and keep them in the hotel.  We expected it to be expensive, but they were priced pretty similar to the prices we see at home.  They had a huge breakfast bar every morning and the lobby was crowded with people each morning.  I don't think mom and I ate one breakfast together because according to her, I slept in.  She was an early riser and was downstairs by 6:30 most mornings.  I usually went down around 8:30.  

Mom and I spent the first day taking the Big Bus Tour.  Is is a bus that goes throughout the city and has stops along the way.  They gave out headphones and rain ponchos.  There are four different routes it takes.  We went on the yellow route into Georgetown.  We stopped to find somewhere to use a bathroom and ended up walking down a hill.  My mom reminded me that there was no way we could get back up the hill.  I panicked when I couldn't find another Big Bus to get on.  After I looked and looked, one finally came by and we flagged it down.  Pheew! 

We also went on the red bus which led us to the Ford Theater among other things.  We found a cute little diner right across from it.  We were surprised when we ordered Coke and they brought us a can with a cup and ice.

It was really hard to find fountain drinks in D.C.  I drove my mom crazy by going on a wild goose chase in the evening looking for my daily Coke.  One night I walked all the way to Walgreens because I was assured by a mail carrier that they had one.  I pulled out a cup and went to fill it.  All of the Coke products were gone.  I think they only thing left was Sprite.  I couldn't believe it. Another day I walked and walked and never did find one.  The last night I thought about going to Safeway.  I almost kicked myself when I saw that they had Coke and it was right by our hotel.  All those nights I spent searching and I could have just gone to Safeway. 

We had an appointment to see the Capitol on Sunday.  A Big Bus operator told us that the capitol is never open on a Sunday and so we didn't end up going.  We figured she would know better than we did and that they had made the appointment by mistake.  Later we found out the Capitol was open and we could have gone.  I was not happy.  We went to the Capital the next day and went through the visitors center.  I really wish we could have seen inside. 

We made sure to see all the monuments.  There was a green bus that actually drove us around to all of them.  They are farther apart than you would think.  As we were driving to the Pentagon I took some pictures.  Then the recording on the bus told everyone that is is against the law to take pictures of the Pentagon.  I quickly put my camera away.  The recording said it was for security purposes.  Mom and I thought it was interesting that when you look at the Pentagon you can't really tell that it is in the shape of the Pentagon.  By the time they announced it, it was too late to look at the shape.  I wished the bus would have driven by the 9/11 memorial at the Pentagon, but instead the recording just mentioned it as we drove away.

The last day we went to the National Archives and the Air and Space Museum.  Mom and I actually went in the back and registered with the National Archives.  We spent some time researching on the computer and were issued identification cards.  There were links to genealogy sites that are open to the public.  I really think mom enjoyed our visit there. 

In case you were wondering, the other bus was the blue bus.  We took that as well.  I couldn't leave you hanging.

The thing that amazed me most was seeing so many Government buildings in one area.  It put my vision of the United States of America in a different light.  Washington D.C. is so much smaller than I thought it would be.  But at the same time, I didn't feel like I was among Government officials until we were by the Capitol.  It makes all the Presidential scandals seem so hard to believe, but so real at the same time.  On the bus tour they would point to a hotel and explain how this was the hotel where President Clinton and Monica Lewinsky would meet.  They pointed to another and said Martin Luther King Jr. stayed there the night before he delivered the "I Have a Dream" speech.  One of the hotels was where Lincoln stayed.  Washington D.C.  is such a historical hotspot.  It was a life changing experience to actually be there.

I will add pictures in a few days.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Cool to hear the stories! I'm glad you two went together!