De Ann's Clan

Friday, May 29, 2015

No Longer in Remission

     When I was on a mission for my church I came down with a debilitating disease.  I had a hard time using my hands, walking, sitting, standing, ect.  I saw many doctors and was told that it was Rheumatic Fever. I was giving penicillin everyday for nine months.  I remember when the doctors used a needle to suck all the inflammation out of my knee.  I was given steroids that I took at the beginning of the day to get me through the day.  The doctors wanted to hospitalize me, but I wouldn't have it.  I was not about to let my physical ailments stop me from serving.
     When I came home, my body was in bad shape.  All my friends were coming off their missions and getting full-time jobs.  I, on the other hand, was sitting in my dad's recliner.  I remember going to the doctors and hearing one say that I did not have Rheumatic Fever.  So I had an unidentifiable condition.  I went through many treatments. Nothing really helped. 
     It wasn't until I was pregnant that the symptoms improved.  Don't get me wrong, I had hard pregnancies, but being pregnant took away the constant pain.  I remember how surprised I was that the pain wasn't as bad as it had been for the last five years.  I was finally in remission.
     What is remission?  Well for me it means that I still have pain.  I get sick easily. Tired is my middle name.  I have many of the same symptoms as Fibromyalgia.  But it is doable.  It has been twenty years and the last fifteen I have managed to stay in remission.
     For about the last two weeks my body has flared up.  My face turns red.  My body hurts back how it did on my mission.  It hurts to hold or touch anything.  I lose my balance.  I keep asking myself how I felt like this and was still able to proselyte.  It makes me worried for the future.  I wonder what it is going to take to get it back into remission.  We still have five days left of school and I know just how hard it is going to be. 

No comments: