De Ann's Clan

Friday, May 22, 2015

Sit Down and Shut Up

The office called me yesterday to tell me there were parents in the office that wanted to meet with me and the principal.  We decided to meet after school.  There is nothing worse than knowing that a parent wants to meet with you and the principal.  It is the anticipation that is the worst.  After school the principal, vice-principal, both parents, and the school secretary (who was there to translate) came to my room.  Talk about intimidating!

Apparently one of my students went home the day before and told her mom that I told her she was stupid and I threw her ruler across the room.  Before I go on with the story, let me clarify that I would NEVER, EVER call a student "stupid".  I repeat, I would NEVER, EVER call a student "stupid".  You can imagine my surprise.

I told the parents I was glad they came to clarify the matter.  I know I would freak out if a teacher ever said that to my kids.  I would be at the school the next day wanting to know what happened too.

Luckily, and I never thought I would be grateful for this, the vice-principal was in the room when this alleged event happened.  The vice-principal is being trained on observing teachers and giving them feedback.  He chose three teachers in the school to observe every other week this year and I was one of the lucky ones.  I think he chose me because we were both at the same school last year.

I told the parents that the vice-principal happened to be in the room at the time and asked him if he would tell them what had occurred.  He retold how I had just given students clear directions to clear their desks.  I waited until all students had cleared their desks.  Then I asked students to talk to their partner about a specific math problem.  As I was walking around, I noticed she had put her ruler back on her desk.  I took it and gently tossed it on my desk that was three feet away.  The vice-principal clarified that it was not done maliciously or in anger. 

I told the parents I did not and would never tell their child she was stupid.  I told them about all the good things I see in their child and how I act in class.

It is hard when a student says something that is not true.  The parents tend to believe their child more than the teacher.  I don't know what I would have done if the vice-principal hadn't happen to be in my class and was able to act as my witness. 

I wondered why she would have said such a thing.  I went to her first grade teacher to see how she was last year.  What I heard, really cleared things up for me.  Last year, she was caught stealing and lying.  The teacher had contacted parents and told them she was a discipline problem.  Things that make you go hmmmmm.

No comments: