De Ann's Clan

Monday, September 8, 2008

Bad things come in threes

Well, I pretty much gave it away with the title, but guess where we were last night? That's right, our friendly neighborhood E.R. The boys were playing on the swing set. Ky was making the glider go as high as it could go. They had discovered a new fun game called throw the doll into the glider. They would throw the doll toward the glider as Ky kept the glider going at full speed and it would spit the doll out into the air. Did I mention that all the neighbor boys love playing at our house? Anyways, Porter was walking around the swing set and managed to walk right in front of the glider. It hit him right in the head.

We of course were horrified. We took him to the E.R. immediately. As we were walking in I was trying to calculate the odds of the same people working the front desk as the other two times. I let out a sigh of relief as I looked at the registration desk and didn't recognize anyone.

I kept waiting for the social workers to come in and separate us to get our stories. One look at my children could send off DCFS sirens around the world. Ky was wearing a flithy white shirt. Zander was of course barefoot, again. All of my children were dirty from playing in the yard. Even my little Dresden had been crawling around the yard getting dirty right before the accident.

I was grateful to get a different nurse as last time. She was friendly, and great with kids. She made jokes and helped ease the panic that Don and I were feeling. We told her this was our third trip in two weeks. She just smiled and said, "You must have boys."

Porter's cut was worse than either of Zander's cuts. It was 1 1/2 inches long and bled the whole time he was being stitched up. They wanted to do staples, but neither Porter nor I could bear the thought of staples.

It was hard. None of us liked the experience. But we are glad that Porter is okay.

So any guesses on what we did today? Yeah, the swing set is gone and Porter stayed home from school because he woke up with a massive headache.

4 comments:

EBKB said...

Uch! I am sorry to hear this! But I am glad, at least, that the nurse was more sympathetic this time.

Again, I say it: I am so glad to have girls!

Anonymous said...

DeAnn, I am so sorry. So the neighborhood swingset is gone, eh? Maybe you need to tie your boys down to the couch for a while!! :) They are cute.
Love, Tawnie

Melanie Palmer said...

Wow...you don't have to allow your kids to get hurt just to have something to blog about!

I thought things were quiet on your blog for a while because things were pretty dull- I bet you wish that were the case! Hope it all gets better!

mooresclan said...

I just have to go on record to say that if I haven't blogged for a while it is NOT because things are dull around here. I may not blog for a while because the house has burned down from the kids playing with matches (Don't worry, I watch them when they are playing with matches). Maybe I would go without blogging for a while because I can't find the computer under all the clothes that the boys have thrown around. I could also go without blogging because the whole neighborhood is over here playing and I don't dare look away for the few minutes that it takes to write a few sentences. But I would NEVER go without blogging because there was not much to say.