De Ann's Clan

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Humble Pie

I had my third evaluation today while I taught Language Arts. Yesterday it was while I taught Science. Yesterday's was a little rough, but today was rougher than rough. I wrote the wrong sentence on the board. I made a few mistakes. In my eyes it was a complete disaster.

Yesterday they told me that I hadn't reviewed enough with the children for them to "get" what I was teaching. They wanted me to review more and make sure that the students understood. Then they came back to watch me teach it again to another class yesterday afternoon.

I spent the rest of today trying to figure out where I was going to apply next. It sure didn't look good for me at that school. I was pretty bummed.

During my planning time I tracked down the Vice-Principal to find out how I did in the evaluation. I wanted to know what things I needed to work on. I was nervous to say the least. I went in her office and said, "Okay, how bad was it? I know it was a complete disaster." She told me that it actually went well. I couldn't believe it. She saw that I was nervous and that I had just made nervous mistakes.

I can't tell you how hard this experience has been. The Principal is coming in tomorrow and then my last observation is on Thursday in math. I can't wait to get this week over with.

1 comment:

Katrina said...

Hope it went well this week! I'm sure you did great.