De Ann's Clan

Thursday, December 11, 2008

Walking on Air

I am flying higher than a kite and no it is not chemically induced (except for the Prozac and Wellbutrin). Do you remember the song "American Hero" or something like that? The words are playing over in my head..."Believe it or not, I'm walking on air. I never thought I could be so free..."

I have been shadowing a teacher at a charter school in hopes to take over her position by February. The school has particular teaching and discipline methods that I need to learn before I will be officially employed as a teacher. I have been observing a second grade teacher and have been teaching part of the lessons. It has been a little bit of a daunting task.

I think the most challenging part is that they will be coming to observe me teach all the subjects to see if I am "a good fit for the school." My anxiety gets progressively worse with the looming observations hanging over my head. Yesterday, I sat down with the Vice-Principal to schedule all four observations.

Today she came and observed me teach spelling and reading. The school uses ability grouping to place students in their specific level for each subject. I teach mostly third graders in spelling and reading. They are great kids, but there are a couple that are really challenging. Just yesterday I struggled to keep them all on task. I was worried that they were going to act up today.

To make a long story short, the class was wonderful. I mentioned before class that I was going to be observed and that I hoped they would be on their best behavior. They were angels. They were the perfect students. The Vice-Principal came up to me afterwards with nothing but praises. She even asked if another instructor could come in and observe on Monday. It was more than I had ever hoped for.

I am still nervous for the other three observations, but now I know that I am on the right track with my teaching methods. I have more of a feel of what the observations are going to be like. The other three are scheduled next week. By Friday of next week I will know if I passed or not.

2 comments:

EBKB said...

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Good job DeAnn!!! You are awesome!! It's great to see you at school too.