De Ann's Clan

Friday, July 31, 2009

Richest Man in Babylon

Have you read Richest Man in Babylon? It was required reading in our house growing up. My dad made all kids read it before they left the house. On Sunday Dex was quoting the part in the book where the man gave his savings to a brick maker to buy some jewels and lost it all because the brick maker brought back glass jewels. Don somehow managed to bypass reading it when we first got married. So he asked Dex if he could borrow his copy. I sat down and started reading it again. The book really is good. I started to think about all the ways I could build up a savings and invest it. The book says to set aside 10% of your income and put it in savings. I was figuring 10% tithing and 10% savings. That is a lot of money. So my question is, what percentage of your earnings do you save from every pay check?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I’ll ask Ken when he gets home but since we were married and only making $500.00 a month we have been saving the 10%, tithing 10% and fast offerings double what we think our family eats for a meal. The blessing from an honest tithe are abundant! We were asked in a meeting to triple our fast offerings for more blessings, so I think that is what we give now.