De Ann's Clan

Friday, July 25, 2008

Just a couple of thoughts...

I have been thinking more than I have been writing. But I have a few thoughts to share.

My parents came over yesterday and we talked for a very long time about my their lives and the battles they have been through. My parents are amazing. Both of my parents had issues growing up. They had plenty of reasons to resent their step-moms and their fathers. Not once growing up did my parents ever paint a picture of a rough childhood. They also made sure to have my grandmas and grandpas over as much as possible. They showed them respect and love.

It wasn't until I had my first child that my parents' stories came out. Boy, was I blown away. Now, years later I am still amazed at what great people my parents are and what wonderful parents they have always been to me and my brothers and sister. I am glad that my children have such a good relationship with them.

The next thought I had was that Don is so good with people. He is the one that gets people talking and sharing stories. I don't think we would have had such a long and interesting visit without his questions.

My last thought is that I hate cancer! I saw my neighbor go through Chemo and radiation. It was more than I could bear. Then my father was diagnosed with prostate cancer. He had his prostate removed and is still healing from the operation. So far he doesn't need chemo or radiation. But it has slowed him down and changed his life. Despite what my dad says, I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

2 comments:

Katrina said...

I'm sorry about your dad- I didn't know. Nils' dad went through prostate cancer a couple of years ago, too. He had surgery, radiation and took some crazy hormone meds for about a year that made him have hot flashes. He's beat it, but like you said, it's changed his life forever. I wish your dad and your family much luck.

Anonymous said...

I love to hear random thoughts. Thanks for sharing!!