De Ann's Clan

Thursday, July 3, 2008

Sobering

I went to a therapist for the first time in my life today. I struggled whether I should write it in my blog. Who knows, maybe it will help someone someday. Maybe my thoughts will help someone that is struggling and they don't know it.

I decided that the postpartum was a little too much for me to handle. My regular doctor suggested that I see a therapist. I made the appointment and had to wait until today to see her.

The appointment began with me filling out a bunch of new patient paper work, paperwork for insurance, paperwork of the symptoms I am having, and of course the HIPA (spelling?) agreement. The rest of the appointment was Janine (my therapist) asking me different questions to narrow down exactly all the issues I am dealing with. Some questions were easier to answer than others.

But in the end the best way to describe the appointment is sombering. Sombering to actually hear my thoughts out loud. Sombering to look at my life and realize that maybe there are reasons for why I am having postpartum depression. Sombering to have Janine validate my feelings.

One of the most interesting things she said was that most of her clients that suffer from depression are women in their mid-thirties whose oldest child is nine. Hmmmmmmm. I just thought I would put it out there. So if you have an oldest child turning nine, is nine or could be nine in the future and you are in your thirties...beware.

2 comments:

Katrina said...

Uh-oh- my oldest is 5 and I just turned 30 this year...and I've already been to therapy. I'm in for it.

Anonymous said...

DeAnn. What can I help you with? Been there....done that. And I'm sure I'm only in the early stages of going crazy. I have an entire lifetime ahead of me. BLAH!!!
Let's get the girls together for lunch. That always helps alleviate stress.
Talk to you soon.