De Ann's Clan

Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day


I always like to visit the graves on the Saturday before Memorial day. It isn't something my mom has ever really taught us to do. She always taught us to enjoy people while they are still alive and to let them know that you love them while they are still alive. Debbie visits the graves every year. I guess I do too, but I don't bring flowers or really do the traditional grave clean up. I just go and hope that the ones on the other side see me and my family and know that I care. One year I remember reading my scriptures at my Grandma and Grandpa Vanderwerff's grave. It was kinda cool because there was just a quiet peaceful spirit there.

This year Don, the kids and I went to visit my dad's side of the family and to see my brother's grave. I try not to take the kids too much because I spend the whole time just trying to keep them from stepping on the headstones and tipping over the flowers. But this year, Kyath and Porter seemed old enough to start participating in the tradition and with Don there I knew Zander and Dresden wouldn't be too much trouble.


This is Ky by my brother's grave. He was a still born that was born after Debbie and before Darin.


This is Porter by his grave. He was looking at the flowers Aunt Fay had left.


Monday Debbie and I went to the other Cemetery together to visit my mother's parents.


We found them, but had trouble finding my Father's step mother. We ended the visit by stopping at President and Sister Hinkley's grave. I loved seeing all the flowers and people visiting his grave. It really left an impact on me.


2 comments:

Katrina said...

I never knew you had another brother- I'm sorry! I think it's great that you visit his grave. People often think I'm weird when I tell them I go to cemeteries on Memorial Day. Umm, isn't that what the holiday is for? And I happen to have a lot of dead relatives so it works out nicely.

mooresclan said...

You are fast. I was still doing my another post and you not only read it, but commented on it. One day I would like to go and visit your dad's grave. I really miss him.