De Ann's Clan

Saturday, May 24, 2008

The Wallet Thief

Okay, I lost my wallet a couple of weeks ago. I wasn't quiet sure where I lost it. I remember paying for a $5 pizza at Little Caesars and coming home. I went to work the next morning and my wallet wasn't in my purse. There was a customer at Little Caesars that did try to distract me. I wasn't sure if maybe he took it while he was distracting me or if I just left it somewhere. With the affairs of my house, it could be in my house never to be found again. I just didn't know where it was.

I cancelled my credit cards. But I wasn't going to start renewing all my cards just to find the wallet the next day. I was really convinced that it had just fallen out of my purse and I just had to look harder at home.

I spent the next week asking every place I went to if a wallet was turned in. One guy laughed and said, "You really think someone would turn a wallet in?" He thought I was crazy. I started systematically tearing the house apart.

Exactly a week from the day my wallet went missing I received a call from the manager at Little Caesars. She had my wallet. I was grateful. I was glad that I wouldn't have to renew all my cards. I was glad I could stop trying to figure out where the wallet was.

"Hi," the manager started. "You don't know me. I am the manager of Little Caesars in Bountiful and I have your wallet."

"Thank goodness!" I exclaimed. "I have been looking everywhere for it."

"I just have to let you know that I cut up your cards." the manager warned.

"Oh, my credit cards?" I responded. "That's okay, I already cancelled them."

"Your credit cards and all the other cards." she clarified.

I had to pause and digest what she was saying. "What other cards did you cut up?" I asked.

"All of them." she responded.

My gratitude turned to confusion. Why did she cut up all my cards? What would possess a person to do such a thing? I mean I understood the credit card thing. I would have never cut up someone else's credit card, but I understood it.

She explained that she had kept the wallet in the safe the whole time. She had her workers try to get a hold of me, but they were unable to determine how to get a hold of me. (Never mind that my address was on my drivers license and that these are teenagers that work at Little Caesars!)

She said that the wallet had just been at her store too long and she just didn't feel comfortable with in in her store with her workers. (So was she saying that she can't trust her workers?) So she started cutting everything up. She said she had started cutting up the last thing when she noticed that it was my business card with my phone number. That it was the first time she knew how to get a hold of me. Then she told me I could come and pick up my wallet and the cut up cards.

I went to the store with mixed emotions. The manager greeted me with my wallet and a breadstick sack filled with the cut up cards. I thanked her (What else could I do?) and went home to access the damage.


I already threw a lot of the cards away. But here is just some of them. I also had an Albertson's card, Smith's card, a Davis County Library card and a ton of business cards from other people.


This is the one that really threw me for a loop. She cut up my government coupons for the Digital TV Converter Box. These are worth $40 a piece. She also cut up stamps. I don't know about you, but it has really had me second guessing whether I will ever eat at Little Caesars ever again.


So the moral of the story is... I really don't know. Be glad that you are not me. Don't envy me. Don't try to be like me. Bad luck seems to find me no matter what. Just keep your space and you should be safe.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What the....
I don't get it. Stamps....coupons...that is totally bizzare.

Melanie Palmer said...

I'm at a loss for words. You definitely aren't getting the whole story...not that there's anything you can do about it at this point, but something else went down. Weird!

Incidentally, that address in Herriman is my neighbor ;)

Katrina said...

psyyyyyyyyycho!

camilla said...

That just makes me mad, maybe you should call the manager or something, that seems a little extreme. I am so sorry. I love reading your stories. Keep posting! -Camilla