De Ann's Clan

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Switching Schools

I am really struggling with switching Kyath over to my school. He was throwing a tantrum two weeks ago. He refused to go to school and Don didn't know how to make him go. He missed two days of school that week. Ky told us that he wanted to go to my school and he would not go to school till they let him in my school.

My school did not have any openings. Kyath really should not have been let in till the start of next school year. I had a conversation with the administration and pleaded my case. I told them that my son was not going to school and my husband was not able to get him to obey. They told me they would see what they could do.

Then last week we had the flu. Kyath missed two more days of school. I missed two day as well because I was sick.

The administration went out of their way to make room for Kyath to come to my school. They had me bring him in to be tested to see what classes to place him in. They talked to the Utah Department of Education to meet all the requirements to allow Kyath in the school. They arranged everything for him to transfer over.

Today was his first day of school. I was excited to have him there. It was fun being able to check on him and see how he was doing. It was fun driving there together. Kyath was excited to go.

As the day went on, Ky decided that he was "going to go back to his old school." I explained that he had to stay at my school till the end of the year. One day was not going to be enough for him to get used to a new school. He told me he was going to be bad at my school so that he will be expelled and have to go to his old school. Needless to say, he misses his friends and his previous teacher.

So I get to fight with Ky till the end of the year to get him to school everyday. I am still just trying to adjust to teaching, working full-time, and still try to be a good mom when I am home. Sometimes I wonder why life is so hard.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Don’t you just love the way that children work their parents. If he can beat you down enough then he believes that he has one.

Keeping him at your school is worth the fight. He will learn to enjoy it. He needs to let his guard down so that he can have a good experience. Are there kids in the class going out of their way to spend time with him? Like recess, lunch etc. Right now that would be a good place to start. He needs to make some positive connections!

mooresclan said...

You are so right. I need to talk to some of the kids in the class and see if they will try to get to know him. The other teacher that teaches second grade has a son in Kyath's class. It would be good if they can be friends.