De Ann's Clan

Friday, January 23, 2009

TGIF

It has been a long week, which is funny considering we only had school Wed-Fri. I had an in-service meeting on Tuesday and then taught Wednesday-Friday. It is mostly because the teacher I am replacing turned over full control to me this week. She told me that she would help in the background, but I am now the main teacher. Up until now we have been team teaching. We split up the subjects and took turns teaching. So teaching all the subjects has been a new development.

It has been fun being able to prepare and teach all day. I am always thinking of new ways to reach the students and teach them new subject matter. It is nice finally feeling like it is my classroom.

To every positive there is a negative. With having full-control, I am dealing with 1st year teaching issues. I can get the children to be quiet. But sometimes it is hard. I have different students for reading, math and my second science hour. So I have to start all over again getting control with each class.

Today there was something in the air. Some of the children had behavior issues. I say something is in the air because I wasn't the only teacher struggling to get the students attention. The principal actually had to go into a third grade classroom today to remind them of the school rules and that teacher is one of the best in the school.

I only had one student giving me a hard time. He has always been a little hard. But yesterday his dad won full custody of him. We have always had a hard time getting a hold of his dad. So all of our communication has been with his mom. His attitude today was that he could do whatever he wanted because there was no way we would be able to reach his dad. It was frustrating.

The week is over and I am grateful. I am grateful to spend time with my kids and straighten up my house.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry for the rough times. You are an awesome teacher and I love that you are there.
And something in the air? You got that right!! Have you looked outside? It's making us all NUTTY!!!!

mooresclan said...

Yeah I guess you are right. This inversion is killing me. I have two kids in my class with asthma. Spending all the recess inside hasn't helped either.