De Ann's Clan

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

My little Porter

I have had a hard time with Kyath and Porter lately and so I have tried to change my tactics a little bit. I pretty much know what I need to do to help Kyath change, but I am not so sure with Porter. He has been yelling a lot and saying inapproprite things like, "Kill Barney." "Let's set Barney on fire." We have tried various things from time out to deprivation of Lucky Charms. Don actually kept him from church the other day because of something he said. We just don't feel like we are getting through to him.

I started to look at what he does to see where he learned it. Let's see...he yells. He yells... I yell. Hummm. Yeah, okay. So he learned how to yell from me. Not good. The things he says comes from all different stimuli around him. But I wondered what would happen if I went out of my way to treat Porter nicer.

I decided that I was going to try not to raise my voice at Porter. If he did something wrong, I would still talk to him about it, but I would not yell. I would watch what I said and make sure that I gave Porter plenty of attention. I didn't know what the end result would be, but I hoped it would help the situation.

Today is day two of the experiment. I have not yelled at Porter for two days. I have tried to give him extra attention

No comments: