De Ann's Clan

Sunday, June 22, 2008

Rejected by my own daughter


My little princess is breaking my heart. She decided that she is done breastfeeding, on my birthday no less. I have tried everything I could possibly think of to trick her back into breastfeeding again and she has determined that she is done. I am devastated.

I stopped breastfeeding Ky at one. I had heard that it was good to go a year if you could. But I missed my old body and thought that giving up breastfeeding would give it back to me. Boy was I wrong! My body will never be what it was before I had a baby. That is just mathematically impossible.

When Porter came along I had breast infection after breast infection. I could not wait to stop. But then he had RSV, high blood pressure and all those tests on his heart and kidneys and I realized that he needed to be breast fed as long as possible. I didn't stop till he was 22 months old. I went to Texas for a couple of days. I came home and fed him once in his sleep and that was it.

I didn't have half as many breast infections with Zander. I loved feeding him. He was never sick. But I still felt like I should feed him as long as I could. I don't remember when I stopped, but it was close to when he was two.

Now here is Dresden at 6 1/2 months saying she is done. She just up and stopped one day. I have absolutely no say in the matter. With Dresden being my last, I wanted to take my time feeding her. After all, she had RSV twice! I would have stopped around two.

Maybe I am learning what it is like to have a girl. Maybe this is just the beginning of her telling me how it is going to be and letting me know that she really is in charge. I am not sure if I am ready for this new pathway in life.

No comments: