De Ann's Clan

Saturday, November 29, 2008

Errand of Angels

I was so excited for Errand of Angels to come out on DVD. I wanted to see it when it was out in theaters, but I was never able to go. Well, I got a hold of the DVD before it was released and I LOVED IT.

It was written by two missionaries on my mission. I served a lot with Vuissa, but the President Johnson's daughter-in-law that helped write it served after I left. Vuissa was the only Elder that retaliated to my practice jokes and always found a way to get even.

My most memorable prank was putting a giant fish in his toilet while he was at Zone Conference. He was Assistant to the President at the time and the whole office staff said that the whole office smelled like dead fish by the time he came home. That was in retaliation to him putting a pig head in the box of stuff he transported for me to my next apartment.

Now before you start thinking that I was a terrible missionary or that I was mean, you have to watch Errand of Angels. It summed up my mission so well. The practical jokes were what kept me from going crazy.

I loved my mission. I am glad I went. But it was hard. We had awesome days like in the movie. We had really sucky days like in the movie. I had great companions and I had some not so great companions.

My homecoming was the day after I came home from my mission and I have to say that I was not ready to talk about it. I just wanted to talk about all the wonderful miracles, but I hadn't yet processed all that I had just experienced. My talk was five minutes. I literally spoke for five minutes and then sat down. I wish that I could do that day over, but that was 13 years ago. Even though I didn't have the same experiences as in this movie, it gives people a little bit of an understanding of what my mission was like, what the people were like, and how a mission really changed me.

2 comments:

EBKB said...

You know what, I was actually AT your homecoming, which I remember was weird because I just happened to be in town that weekend and it was pure dumb luck that I happened to go to church my parents that day...I honestly don't remember the content of what you said, but I do recall being moved by it, partly by seeing certain ways that you'd changed since I'd seen you last and that your entire demeanor about the thing suggested that the experience had affected you really profoundly.

I will try to check out this film.

mooresclan said...

That makes me feel a lot better. I just think back on my homecoming and feel stupid. I really appreciate your words.