De Ann's Clan

Saturday, November 22, 2008

Yes Ma'am

I started teaching at a charter school in North Salt Lake last Monday. I am training to take over a classroom in a month. I can't wait. It has been a surreal experience. I have to be trained because this school has it's own way of teaching and its own discipline system. Once I have learned it all and they believe I am a good fit, I will take over teaching a second grade classroom. I am pretty excited.

They have all these attention getters to get the student's attention. The one that cracks me up the most is when the teacher says "attention", the children do a little elbow knock on the desk and then they fold their arms. They respond by saying, "Yes Ma'am". I tried it for the first time on Friday and I have to say it was kinda cool having all the children call me ma'am and instantly quiet.

It is going to be hard teaching full-time. But I have really come to see the truth of the scripture in the Book of Mormon when the Nephites were prisoners and the rulers were placing heavy burdens on all the Nephites. In the scripture the Lord promises to make their burdens light.

Don can be home with Zander and Dresden for all but three hours I am gone. Debbie is watching them the other three hours. The teacher that I am replacing is leaving most of all her stuff because she is moving out of state. Last but not least, I am finally feeling healthy enough to be able to work all day. So I am really feeling blessed.

4 comments:

camilla said...

Wow, second grade, that is the grade that I taught, let me know if you need anything. I still have some stuff.

Anonymous said...

I love that you are at my kids school. I love that it will keep a connection between us. DeAnn, I'm sure this is one sided but you are just such a great friend to me. THANK YOU!!!

EBKB said...

This is so great. I am excited for you!

Katrina said...

So awesome!