De Ann's Clan

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Sticks and Stones...

Zander broke his arm a week ago today. Ky and Zander were stacking up cushions and falling down to the ground when they toppled over. On one of the trips down, Ky landed on Zander and broke his arm. It was one of those breaks that was obvious is was broken.

We went to the hospital to get a cast. Did you know that they don't put on the regular casts right away? They put on a temporary cast till the swelling goes down. A week later is when they put on the real cast. His bones were overlapping and the doctor kept pulling his arm trying to get the bones back in place. Finally they sedated him after several attempts to put it back in place after just numbing the area where it was broken.

Yesterday Don made an appointment to get a cast put on. I kept asking Don if the appointment was with an orthopedic surgeon. He assured me that I was going to the right doctor. Well, after one hour of waiting, the doctor came in and told us that she was a regular doctor and that we needed to go to an orthopedic surgeon. Yeah- thanks Don.

Debbie figured I would struggle with four kids at the doctors office and ended up coming to make sure we were okay and bring M&Ms. (She's taken, she is my only sister and I won't trade her.) It was a good thing because I almost lost it when I found out that I had waited for an hour with four busy children just to find out that I was at the wrong doctor.

Don took Zander in today and he is sporting a red cast. He hasn't figured out that it can be used as a weapon yet. I keep reminding the kids that it wouldn't be a good idea to show him.

1 comment:

Katrina said...

Oh my goodness. Poor little Zander! Poor little you!

I broke my wrist when I was 11 and the doctor had to set it. The thought of it makes me physically ill. I'm sorry you guys had to go through that.